Search This Blog

Saturday, October 02, 2010

PIZZA A GO-GO!

Okay, the first step is to admit you have an addiction...You know who you are.

Most of us love pizza.  In fact we love it so much that we have it delivered, we buy really bad versions of it at baseball games, roller rink's and amusement parks. Of course the frozen pizza has become a staple in many of our homes.  And, when funds or energy levels are low we can at times get desperate and resort to making (and eating) what can only be described as a faux pizza-esque type food.  You know what I am talking about; the english muffin pizza, the bagel pizza, hell I bet you have even put red sauce and cheese on white bread and thrown it under the broiler! 

Well there is good news addicts, I have come up with a 15 minute make at home pizza that you will love!  And, if you are a generous person you may want to share it with family, or friends, but seriously you are under no obligation to do so.  I, of course, am not a generous person and if you touch my pizza I will burn you down.  The End.

I got the original idea from a pizza that California Pizza Kitchen put out a year or so ago; the Swiss, ham and caramelized onion pizza.  Alas, it was a limited edition and once it was gone I went into a depression that I can only assume was like post-partem.  Having no kids myself I have no idea what post-partem depression is like but I think its really bad and therefore you can understand my comparison and utter feeling of loss.

Heavy Sigh.

After a substantial grieving period I decided that being the fearless foodie I am I could make this pizza.  At first I bought pizza dough and rolled it out. I caramelized the onions, and I made a bordelaise type sauce which was on the original pizza.  And, I have to admit it was one screamin' yummy pizza.  However, the downside was it took an hour to prepare and 20 minutes to bake...Way, way, WAY too long for a pizza addict to have to wait to get her fix!

So, I played with ingredients and I fussed with dough's and I tried pre-made crusts, and I created sauces and eventually, I came up with what is in fact a damn good pizza that takes no time at all and is easy peasy to make.

Ingredients:

1 Premade cornmeal pizza crust (I prefer the premade cornmeal crusts from the Nugget Market, however, I am also fond of the Mama Mary premade crusts which are not cornmeal.  Both are packed in two's and run about 5.00 a package.)

2 tablespoons of alfredo sauce

1 small block of good gruyere cheese (Swiss is a great option as well)

2-3 green onions

1 small heirloom or on the vine tomato

1 tablespoon olive oil

Pinch of salt

(Optional) pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

Assembly:

Spread olive oil evenly over crust and sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes if desired.

Spread alfredo sauce evenly over crust and top with chopped or sliced ham, green onion and tomato.  Top pizza with shredded gruyere cheese and bake according to crust package instructions.

Let the pizza sit a minute or two before slicing and remember the cheese will be hot.  It is also a good idea to line the bottom of your oven as the cheese may bubble over and cause a mess.

VIOLA! - Behold the awesomeness!!!



Now, your mission (should you choose to accept it) is as follows: 

Be bold, go forth and create pizza!  I highly encourage you to experiment, and craft, your own masterpiece or, sample mine.  Then write back and share your story with Food A Go-Go!, we would love to hear what you think.   

Well that is mostly true, we would like to hear what you think...Okay, we really don't care what you think at all, but go ahead and tell us anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment